Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hummingbird Eggs

 Hummingbirds are common in my area. I was able to take a photo of one - because it was resting ! See here.

I find them one of the most amazing creations of nature. Their nests are equally amazing. You would expect it to be tiny, and you would be wrong - it is even tinier than what you might expect :-)


It's only about an inch in diameter. It seems like made of mud and is glued to the branch. (Wikipedia tells me, a lot of spider silk is used to make it sticky). Here is another photo to give you an idea of the scale.



The eggs are as small as jellybeans !

No eggs were harmed in taking these photos ! But I didn't get to see the chicks. I didn't want to disturb anything, so didn't go near it again. From a distance, it was hard to see if the eggs hatched. Other birds, and even ants are likely predators of these eggs. The nest seemed empty after a few days :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...