Saturday, March 8, 2014

Redneck Woman

Every song, rather every good song, has a story, or a message or a point to make. As a listener, we may or may not relate to it. Generally, we tend to like songs that we can relate to, goes without saying. There are exceptions. Gretchen Wilson's "Redneck Woman" is a song that I of course cannot relate to literally, but I still enjoy it immensely. And it's clear that I am not alone. It reached the top of the Billboard Country charts, and also won her the Grammy for Best Female Country singer.

May be behind the rebellious, in-your-face lyrics, there is an idea of staying true to your heritage that appeals us.
Some people look down on me,
    but I don't give a rip
I'll stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip

'Cause I'm a redneck woman
    I ain't no high class broad
I'm just a product of my raising
    I say, 'hey ya'll' and 'yee-haw'

And I keep my Christmas lights on
     On my front porch all year long
And I know all the words to every Charlie Daniels song

So here's to all my sisters out there keeping it country
Let me get a big 'hell yeah' from the redneck girls like me, hell yeah
There is a raw sharp edge to her voice that I really like. So it pains me to say this, but Gretchen Wilson turned out to be a one hit wonder. There are other songs from her that I like, especially "When I think about cheating", but overall, not much followed the success of this debut song.

Enjoy ..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...