Friday, October 9, 2009

Sinister Shorts




Book Review : Sinister Shorts
Author : Perri O'Shaughnessy
My Rating : 1 of 5 stars

I saw this book in the library, noticed that the author has been on the bestselling list of New York Times and got interested because it's an anthology of short stories. It's been a long time since I have read a collection of short mysteries.

I have been disappointed by many fictions which appear on New York Times bestseller lists. I still decided to try this one, as I could gauge the book by reading just a couple of short stories and decide if I want to read any further.

And that's what I did. After first 2 stories, I just couldn't continue. I cannot say that the first one is badly written, but there is simply no mystery solving in it. It's a story of coincidence. The second one left me saying "duh". This is simply not how I expect mystery fiction to be. There is no "aaha" moment, there is no cleverness, there is not much of a plot, there is not much of anything.

I am glad I didn't have to go through the whole book expecting some redeeming part at the end. Unless, you specifically enjoy utterly bland fiction, avoid this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...