Saturday, February 7, 2009

A new sweepstakes scam

This is a new scam that I have come across. I received this letter via USPS.

Along with the letter was a check

Their idea seems like this. When you deposit the check for amount 4987.85, it won't be honored by the "US Federal Credit Union". There really seems to be a bank with that name. Maybe the scammers get your account information - as part of returned check. I don't know.

But the main scam might be the "tax money" that needs to be paid. As the letter says, you have to pay the tax to the "tax agent" via Western Union or Moneygram. You can kiss that money good bye if you actually fall for this.

I have not called them to see if the number or the name of the person is genuine. I do not know if the addresses on the letter are genuine or fake.

The scam seems to simple to fool anyone. Well, you cannot blame the scammers for not trying ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...