Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ASAD - 27

Sahir once said "raat bhar ka hai mehamaaN andheraa". And indeed, the concept of morning is always used to denote a happy begining, or end of unhappiness. Well, not always :-) The great Mir did not become famous for "dard" for nothing. He provided a
counter-example.

gor = grave [qabr]
yaaN = yahaaN

gor kis dil-jale ki hai ye falak
shola ik, subah yaaN se uthata hai
- 'Mir' Taqi Mir

It took me some time to realize that, Mir is talking about sunrise! EVERY morning a fire comes out of the sky. So the sky MUST be a grave of some "diljala"!! "My God", I exlaimed, and became a fan of Mir !

- Abhay.
ASAD _also_ stands for "A Sher A Day" !

1 comment:

  1. though I am a huge fan of this ghazal, never could fully comprehend the meaning of the particular sher before reading you.. My bad

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...